Ready to Discuss Your Mine Closure
We’ve helped companies, governments, and NGO’s safely close mines. Let’s discuss the specifics of your project.
Get Started >
Engineer / Scientist – Saskatoon Office
O’Kane Consultants (OKC) is a privately owned environmental and engineering consultancy firm with offices in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United States, and the United Kingdom. We specialize in Mine Waste Management and Closure Services, providing technical advice to some of the largest mining companies and government departments globally. OKC has been involved in closure and rehabilitation planning for clients across Australia, Asia-Pacific, Canada, the United States, South America, Europe, and Africa since 1996.
OKC is accepting applications for an Engineer or Scientist in our Saskatoon Office on a permanent, full-time basis. The Engineer or Geoscientist position will be focused primarily on conducting activities related to mine site closure with specific focus on modelling using GoldSim, GeoStudio, Geochemist’s Workbench software or other similar software. Candidates must embody OKCs Core Vision (Solving Tomorrow’s Problems Today in Optimized Mine Waste Management) and Values: Passionate, Smart and Clever, Positive, Thoughtful and Caring, and Humble.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Apply technical capabilities to projects in the areas of engineering, mine waste management, and mine closure.
- Apply an understanding of geological, geoengineering, and environmental engineering or Geoscience (Earth or Environmental Sciences) principles to assist in the delivery of new approaches to solve basic problems.
- Complete background reviews in support of conceptual model development.
- Complete simulations of geochemical, hydrologic and hydrogeologic conditions for a given model domain developed through robust conceptual model analysis (as directed by senior technical staff).
- Plan and complete field investigations such as material sampling programs and construction QA/QC projects.
- Supervise or perform field studies for the collection and maintenance of data from scientific instrumentation installed at mine waste management reclamation monitoring sites.
- Update and maintain databases.
- Prepare technical documentation and reports in area of technical discipline.
- Demonstrate care about the wellbeing of yourself and others, through actively participating in OHS activities / requirements.
Candidates will ideally possess the following key qualifications, experience, skills, and qualities:
- Bachelor of Geological, Hydrogeological, Geoenvironmental or Geotechnical Engineering or Bachelor of Geological (Earth) or Environmental Sciences.
- Strong educational background in hydrology, hydrogeology, geoenvironmental engineering, and / or geotechnical engineering is considered an asset.
- 2-5 years relevant experience.
- Experience working in GoldSim, Geostudio, Geochemist’s Workbench or other similar software is considered a strong asset.
- Experience working in the mining industry is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong skills in the areas of time management, planning and organizing.
- An ability and willingness to communicate and work with staff in varying time zones.
Please apply with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.